Bad TheoryHammer: Craftworlds

 Bad TheoryHammer:  Craftworlds

(Image Credit:  GW)

Welcome to the warm-up to Controversial Week!  Over the course of (hopefully) next Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, I will write up some teams that I know people really, really like, but that I just plain do not (play-wise, some of them look cool as sprinkles).  Please remember, this blog is entirely my opinion.  I'm not some CREEEEED-level strategist, nor do I have a bucket of tourney wins to show off.  I'm just a dude.  A dude making Bad TheoryHammer.

So, what do Aeldari bring to the table?  Unfortunately, not a lot, aside from one game-breaking bug (more on that later).  They are probably the weakest Kill Team Faction out there unless you REALLY want to run Heavy Intercessors (in which case, you're a masochist, but you do you!).  They have okay-ish shooting, low numbers, lack mobility (REALLY?) and fall apart in close combat.  But they do have some interesting things.

Operatives

Dire Avenger Exarch

(Image Credit:  GW)

Straight-up honest, you're probably taking one of these to be your Leader.  You're probably taking Dire Avengers in general (more on them later), so why not?  A bit of advice:

Never, ever take Dual Shuriken Catapults unless you take the Panoply Equipment or your game of Kill Team will crash.  What happens if he charges or gets charged?  How does he fight?  How do other people fight him?  HAS THIS BEEN RULED ON YET?  Obviously, it hasn't come up in any local games as of now.

I would probably just go with the Pistol and Diresword.  While yes, the Power Sword has a higher maximum damage, getting double Crits on a 5+ is really darned nice.

Other Leaders

Gotta be honest here, I think if you're not taking Dire Avengers, you're hurting yourself worse than even playing Craftworld to begin with.  Stick with the Exarch.

Dire Avengers

(Image Credit:  GW)

As mentioned, I believe these guys are they reason you're playing Craftworld, unless you really just like the idea of sending a bunch of singers and potters out to get slaughtered (hey, I send miners out to do that, I'm not judging!).  While they admittedly more or less suck up close (more on that later), their Shuriken Catapults are actually quite surprisingly frightening.  In fact, thinking about it, 8 Dire Avengers in and of itself might make for an effective Kill Team....

Rangers


(Image Credit:  GW)

Man, they look cool.  It's too bad that looks aren't everything (or at least, that's what my mom keeps telling me).  Rangers are neat.  They can plink away and drop some Mortal Wounds down, but even with their Ploys, they are SLOW.  And really, for a team like Eldar, I want fast and I want either really shooty or really choppy.

I like Rangers a lot.  In fact, I would take them over anything lower down here on the list.  But I am now really leaning towards 8 Dire Avengers.

Guardians in General (because GW can't even make Storm Guardians)

(Image Credit:  GW)

I'm going to be honest here.  You are only ever taking these guys for a Bright Lance or a Fusion Gun, and to be honest, you probably shouldn't be.  Take Avengers and Rangers instead.  Or just Avengers.

They have slightly better than GEQ stats, admittedly shuricats are decent enough weapons, but they don't make up in numbers what they lose in everything else.  I don't know.  Maybe someone has had some success with them.  I just don't get it.

I'm sorry, Aeldari.  GW dropped the ball on you yet again.

Equipment

Weaponized Panoply:  Actually not a bad idea, and especially not bad when it prevents the GBB from occurring.  For 1 EP, it's a nice little upgrade to your fists, but you're still not going to be able to do a lot up close.

Shrine Banner:  Could be really, really good in an all-Avenger Kill Team.  That's a lot of effective APL for holding on to Objectives.

Ranger Scope:  Expensive, but useful.  My only issue is that they're too expensive to take 4 of and that means that, at the very best, one guy is sitting out not able to look through his gun at people.

Pathfinder Cloak:  Less useful, but not a bad idea.  Being able to ignore things that ignore Concealed is pretty hefty.

Wraithbone Talisman:  3 EP for 1 CP isn't a good trade in my opinion.

Celestial Shield:  2 EP for a 1-time 4+ Invulnerable on a Guardian?  I'll pass.

Plasma Grenade:  Potentially really, really good here.  It's cheap enough to be useful and nasty enough to be a bit scary.

Ploys

Fleet:  This is, generally speaking, pretty darned good and you will use it a lot.

Forewarned:  Situationally useful.  Not really my favorite, but hey, it's better than nothing!

Supreme Disdain:  If you're in close combat as Aeldari, you're probably losing the game.  I suppose this can make you punch better, but really, that's about all you have.

Hidden Paths:  Potentially really good if you're running Rangers (which you probably should be doing, unless...).  I like it.  I like it a lot.

Matchless Agility:  This gets your guy onto an Objective in a hurry and can actually win games for you.  Don't ever discount it, but understand it means you're just running around like a blur.

First of the Aspects:  Yeah, this one is good.  No two ways about it.

Stratagems

I always say this.  Go with Security if you can.  Otherwise, probably Infiltration here.

Sample Roster

Dire Avenger Exarch (Diresword, Shuriken Pistol)
7x Dire Avengers
4x Rangers
3x Guardian Defenders (I guess)
1x Guardian Defender Heavy Gunner
1x Heavy Weapon Platform (Bright Lance)

Yay.  That was exciting.

Sample Kill Team (just because)

Dire Avenger Exarch (see above) plus Banner
7x Dire Avengers (Weaponized Panoply)

That one was exciting, wasn't it?  Feels like a Space Marine Kill Team, almost!

Anyway, in case it's not obvious, I'm not very thrilled by Craftworlds.  But I'm sure someone out there is.  And this is just the warmup for when I get really annoying.

No, I'm not going to spoil which Factions I don't like, but they should be somewhat obvious.










Comments